Saturday, June 21, 2008

Me, My Daughter, Our Books


My life-long love affair with reading began with all those “Nancy Drew” mystery novels I avidly read when I was in grade school. By the time I reached the sixth grade, I seemed to have finished the entire Nancy Drew series. My passion for reading was fueled by a highschool classmate who seemed to share the same interest – Joyce Bautista, now a very dear friend. My mother, later on, would take me with her to the bookstore and let me pick out books to read. As an adolescent and now as an adult, I can still go sleepless nights finishing off a really page-turner book.

At the moment, my five-year old daughter, Alex, seemingly demonstrates the same love I have for reading. I can leave her sitting down in one corner of the bookstore poring over books while I go around looking for my stuff. At home, when not playing or studying, one can find her inside the bedroom going over her Kids Almanac or her “precious” collection of story books. I’m quite keyed up with the thought that sooner or later she will also be reading all the books I have spent so much of my time and savings on.

4 comments:

joyce2dworld said...

now I know what to give your daughter come Christmas time...

Mrs. Angelo said...

alex is really your "mini me!"

Unknown said...

why would you LEAVE MY NIECE sitting down in one corner of the bookstore BY HERSELF while you go around looking for your stuff??? explain please!!! :-) abu abu!!!

Heart of Rachel said...

I remember how we used to borrow books from one another when we were younger.

I still have all my hard bound Nancy Drew books.