Monday, July 7, 2008

Iron Man - Our Superhero


While going shopping and having a kid in tow who’s "naglulupasay" when not bought something he really wanted has never been my problem. It saddens and frustrates me when I know my kids desire something really badly – toys, a pair of shoes, a nice dress, etc – and I can’t give it simply because buying such would put a big dent in the family budget.

Recently, my hubby introduced a "decree" to the kids. You see, we give our kids a daily allowance. We told them that they could spend their allowance any way they wanted but that was all they were going to get for the day. Daddy also told them that if they want to buy a toy which will not go well with our budget, they’ve got to save for it. He, however, compromised that if they can save at least half the price of the toy they want, Daddy will put together the other half.

This actually worked very nicely. My son, Cuatro, wanted an "Iron Man" character toy very very badly. It costs P699.95. That meant he had to save P350 at least for him to have the toy. I witnessed how he painstakingly saved all the money he got from us as allowance and how he would open his money bank every night to count how much money he’s got. I made out the glimmer in his eyes when he finally pulled off his goal and did his final count. All his forfeit was not left unrewarded as Daddy gave him the other P350.00 so he can buy the incredible "Iron Man" toy that taught my child the value of money-saving.

3 comments:

Mrs. Angelo said...

ay ang galing naman ni cuats! you must be very proud of him. hala, later on he'll be able to save in the thousands...hehehe!

Unknown said...

buti na lang nagmana si tato sa tito-ninong armin nya @ hinde sa mommy na sobrang gastador!!! hehehe. :-) abu! abu!

Heart of Rachel said...

That's a wonderful way of teaching children about the value of money.

I admire Cuatro's perseverance and patience.